Reflections: Wednesday of the 18th Week after Trinity

Today’s Reading: Small Catechism: Sacrament of the Altar, part 2
Daily Lectionary: Deuteronomy 5:22-6:9; Matthew 9:1-17

Where is this written? (Small Catechism: Sacrament of the Altar)

In the Name + of Jesus. Amen. The Sacrament of the Altar is the true Body and Blood of Jesus Christ given for Christians to eat and drink. This is a strange thing to believe. It looks like mere bread and wine. All that we can see with our eyes and taste with our tongue is wheat and grapes. We like to believe what we can see, feel, taste, touch, and see.

Unfortunately, our senses are not the final authority on reality. Things can be real that we cannot sense. Your home can be filled with poisonous gasses that you cannot smell. This is why you have CO2 detectors. Likewise, humans understand about 5% of what exists in the universe, while the other 95% is referred to as “dark.” We just don’t know how it all works, only that it somehow does.

So we must have reasons for the things we believe, particularly when it comes to matters of the Christian faith. We can’t just make up things or rely on feelings, or even on our senses.

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and Paul all tell us that Jesus says that this is His Body and Blood. John also speaks of it, but in different words that assume you already know about the Lord’s Supper. The presence of Christ’s Body and Blood in the Sacrament of the Altar has been the life of the Christian Church since Maundy Thursday, when it was first given. Why? Because our Lord Himself has given it to us.

Make sure that your beliefs come from the Word of the Lord. Humans have believed all sorts of weird things over the centuries, many of which have proven to be harmful and even fatal. Many have strayed from the Lord’s Word and were led to destruction. The Lord, through His Word, will keep you on the way of life and preserve you from death.

Lutherans are sometimes criticized for putting so much emphasis on Holy Baptism, the Office of the Keys (Confession and Absolution) and the Lord’s Supper. We only do this because Jesus has given these to us. We’ve kind of put everything behind Christ and His words. A man-made religion just won’t do. It’s got to come from the Lord.

Ask the question! Where is this written? And if it is written, then we ought to believe it. The Word of God is trustworthy and true. In the Name + of Jesus. Amen.

His Word proclaims and we believe that in this Supper we receive His very body, as He said, His very blood for sinners shed. (“The Death of Jesus Christ, our Lord” LSB 634, st.4)

Audio Reflections Speaker: Pastor Duane Bamsch